NextGEN Gallery has three different types of settings that you can use to sort your images or photographs inside your galleries.
- Image Options.
- Inside each Gallery.
- While inserting your Gallery.
Please note that these sort settings will be overwritten: the top priority corresponds to the settings inside a blog post or page, next is the sort settings inside a gallery and, finally, the settings inside Image Options.
You can set up a default sort method to be used by your galleries.
Go to Gallery > Other options > Image Options.
On “What’s the default sorting method?” you have five different options:
- Custom: This is the default value of this setting, and it will allow you to change the order of your photos inside your gallery, blog, or page.
- Image ID: Sort your images by Image id. This “id” is an incremental numeric value. Your Image Id is available on the “Id” column
- Filename: It will sort your gallery using the filename.
- Alt/Title Text: It will sort your galleries by “Alt & Title Text” information. Sometimes this information is similar to the filename in case the uploaded image didn’t have a title initially. You can adjust the title after upload.
- Date/Time: It will sort your images by the date. Please, take into consideration that the date used by NextGEN Gallery is based on the meta-information of your photograph. If you need to adjust that date, you need to do it before uploading your photo.
Inside each gallery
You can set up a default order for each gallery if you like.
- Go to Gallery > Manage Gallery. Choose the gallery that you want to sort.
Note: You need “What’s the default sorting method?” setup to “Custom” on Gallery > Other options > Image Options.
- Click on “Sort Gallery”
- You can then sort by Image ID, Filename, Alt/Title text, Date/Time.
- Or you can drag and drop each picture to the desired location
- Finally, click on “Update Sort Order.”
While inserting your Gallery
You should be able to arrange the order inside a blog post or page while adding your gallery display. This sort of setting will overwrite the rest of the settings globally or inside the gallery itself. Note: You need “What’s the default sorting method?” setup to “Custom” on Gallery > Other options > Image Options.
- Insert your galley and chose the desired gallery display. For this example, we will use a Basic Thumbnail.
- Then: Sort the gallery as you like, click on the “Insert Gallery.”
Sorting Galleries inside your Albums
You can also sort your galleries inside your albums.
- Go to: Manage Albums > select the album that you want to edit.
- Arrange the gallery order (drag and drop) and save that order by clicking on the “Update” button.